Subscribe to TESOL Blog
- Study: ELLs who master English early more likely to graduate on time 5 December 2016
- 'Makerspaces' for science instruction also proving helpful for English learners 5 December 2016
- Refugee and immigrant students encouraged to maintain native languages 5 December 2016
- Over 10,000 people back petition against English language tests for London private hire drivers 5 December 2016
- Denver schools with large numbers of English learners get less physical education 5 December 2016
- Note: The views expressed by TESOL bloggers do not necessarily represent the views of TESOL International Association.
Author Archives: Christine
Name: Christine Coombe
Bio: Christine Coombe has a Ph.D in Foreign/Second Language Education from The Ohio State University. She is currently on the English faculty of Dubai Men's College. She is the former Testing and Measurements Supervisor at UAE University and Assessment Coordinator of Zayed University. Christine is co-editor of Assessment Practices (2003, TESOL Publications); co-author, A Practical Guide to Assessing English Language Learners (2007, University of Michigan Press); co-editor, Evaluating Teacher Effectiveness in EF/SL Contexts (2007, UMP); co-editor, Language Teacher Research in the Middle East (2007, TESOL Publications), Leadership in English Language Teaching and Learning (2008, UMP) and Applications of Task-based Learning in TESOL (2010, TESOL Publications). Christine’s forthcoming books are on task-based learning and reigniting, retooling and retiring in English language teaching. Christine has lived and worked in the Arabian Gulf for the past 19 years. In this capacity, she has served as President of TESOL Arabia and as the founder and co-chair of the TESOL Arabia Testing Special Interest Group who organize the Current Trends in English Language Testing (CTELT) Conference. During her tenure in the Middle East, she has won many awards including: 2002 Spaan Fellowship for Research in Second/Foreign Language Assessment; 2002-03 TOEFL Outstanding Young Scholar Award; TOEFL Board Grant for 2003-04, 2005-06, 2007-08 and 2009-10 for her work in delivering assessment training assessment in developing countries. Most recently she served on the TESOL Board of Directors as Convention Chair for Tampa 2006 and was the recipient of the Chancellor’s Teacher of the Year for 2003-04. She is currently TESOL President (2010-2013).
Christine Coombe's Posts
- August 26, 2013: TESOL Symposium and Annual CAMELTA Congress: An Overview
- June 14, 2012: How Will You Spend Your Summer Vacation?
- January 19, 2012: Online Discussion on Teacher Effectiveness in ELT, 19-20 January
- September 19, 2011: TESOL’s New Name
- April 29, 2011: A New Professional Journey