Subscribe to TESOL Blog
- How to manage ESL/ELL students during remote learning 7 August 2020
- Over 14k government schools offer English as optional medium, but few students opt for it 7 August 2020
- The costs of cutting school spending 7 August 2020
- Reopening schools in a socially distanced world — And the tech that could help 7 August 2020
- Separating Difference from Disability with Students Learning English as an Additional Language 7 August 2020
Note: The views expressed by TESOL bloggers do not necessarily represent the views of TESOL International Association.
Author Archives: Michelle Benegas
Name: Michelle Benegas
Bio: Michelle Benegas, Ph.D., is an assistant professor in the second language teaching and learning program at Hamline University. Her TEDX Talk titled "Confessions: New Teacher of Newcomers" tells of her early experiences teaching ESL to Minnesota’s newcomer population. She was the 2015 President of Minnesota Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (MinneTESOL). In addition to her work in ESL teacher preparation, she also teaches a course designed to prepare mainstream teachers to meet the needs of English learners. Along with Dr. Ann Mabbott, Benegas is the principal investigator of the ELM (English Learners in the Mainstream) Project, a US Department of Education-funded initiative that seeks to ensure that all teachers are prepared to meet the needs of English learners. Through this work, she promotes a model in which ESL teachers serve as serve as site-based experts and coaches to their mainstream colleagues.
Michelle Benegas's Posts
- March 21, 2018: Why I Refuse to Call My Colleagues “ELL Teachers”