Subscribe to TESOL Blog
- For young newcomers, school offers a stepping stone to life in America 24 November 2015
- English a failing subject for Malaysia despite national push 24 November 2015
- Cubans say 'Nyet' to Russian, hoping to learn English 24 November 2015
- Half the children getting English language support in New Zealand schools are Kiwi-born 24 November 2015
- Company works to bridge the language skills gap 24 November 2015
- Note: The views expressed by TESOL bloggers do not necessarily represent the views of TESOL International Association.
Tag Archives: assessment
Alright, so if you balked at the title, I admit that I’m not really going to suggest that you teach to the test. That can undermine your pedagogy and compromise your values. But in adult ed and other ESOL settings, we … Continue reading
Do you remember getting papers back from your English or composition teachers that were covered in red ink? Did you take the time to decode each individual marking, consider every error, and diligently redraft your paper until it was flawless? … Continue reading
It has been quite a while since the last tech-break, so I think we are due for another one. In case you have forgotten them, tech-breaks are posts about fun and engaging tech-less activities for the language learning classroom. Some … Continue reading
EL teachers know about the many factors that can affect language acquisition, ranging from how to deal with culture shock to how to simplify grade-level readings without compromising the message. But every now and then, we encounter students who simply … Continue reading
Why Self-Assessment? I’ll be honest: It took me a while to come around to the notion of self-assessment. All I could picture was my sneeringly too-cool high-school self giving my apathetically underachieving high school self A+ after unearned A+.
To better reflect the change in classroom assessment where assessment and learning are perceived as inseparable and assessment is viewed as a tool for learning, I prefer the use of the terms assessment for learning (AfL) and assessment of learning … Continue reading