Subscribe to TESOL Blog
- Invest in programs that boost children's learning and development 11 October 2021
- Creating a culture of learning 11 October 2021
- Teachers Helping Teachers: Core Connections Webinar Series 11 October 2021
- The emergence of relationship gaps during COVID and how to close them for stronger school communities 11 October 2021
- Preparing teachers to work with English learners: A multimodal vocabulary mini-lesson project 11 October 2021
Note: The views expressed by TESOL bloggers do not necessarily represent the views of TESOL International Association.
Tag Archives: reading activities
Early in my career, when I taught a self-contained class of fourth- and fifth-grade newcomers, I definitely did read-alouds the wrong way. I knew research showed the benefits of reading aloud to students, especially English learners. I knew reading aloud … Continue reading
Hello and welcome to another edition of the TESOL Games and Learning blog! Many of us continue with remote learning, and keeping students engaged from the other side of a webcam has become a consistent challenge. In this month’s post, we’ll explore text-based games, … Continue reading
Today I’ll share five reading strategies that were helpful to me when I was an ESL student, and, hopefully, they will be valuable to your students as well.
I’d like you to meet guest blogger, Kathy Perret, who is an educational consultant for Northwest AEA in Sioux City, Iowa. Her areas of interest include literacy, ESL, instructional coaching, and teacher leadership. I met Kathy on Twitter and her … Continue reading
According to Reading Rockets, fluency is composed of three features: accuracy, automaticity, and prosody. These features of fluency are regularly assessed in schools. It’s my opinion, however, that ELs can’t be held to the same standards as their English-speaking classmates while … Continue reading
A Guest Post by Sybil Marcus Sybil Marcus has lived and worked on four continents. She taught ESL at the University of California at Berkeley Extension and at the Summer English Language Studies on the Berkeley campus. She has presented at … Continue reading