Subscribe to TESOL Blog
- SWRLing with EL: Speaking, writing, reading and listening 17 August 2017
- Washington schools see bilingual students as future bilingual educators 17 August 2017
- Irish must pass English-speaking test to become Canadian 17 August 2017
- Professional Development Calendar 17 August 2017
- Teaching literacy skills to English language learners 17 August 2017
- Note: The views expressed by TESOL bloggers do not necessarily represent the views of TESOL International Association.
Tag Archives: reading strategies
Today I’ll share five reading strategies that were helpful to me when I was an ESL student, and, hopefully, they will be valuable to your students as well.
Learning to read in English presents many challenges for English learners (ELs) in the K–12 classroom, especially true in this age of high stakes standardized testing based on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). ELs face many obstacles when reading … Continue reading
Good readers need to learn to summarize text in order to highlight the important information that they read. In my last blog, I talked about teaching ELs how to determine what is relevant in nonfiction texts. They also need to … Continue reading
This blog is Part 3 in my series about teaching English learners reading comprehension strategies. Because good readers ask questions throughout the reading process, I will discuss how to help ELs acquire the skill of asking questions before, during, and after … Continue reading
In my last blog, I talked about Reading Workshop and how well comprehension strategies work for English learners (ELs). Books such as Mosaic of Thought (Keene and Zimmerman, 2007), Reading with Meaning (Miller 2012), and Strategies That Work (Harvey and Goudvi … Continue reading
Many years ago, teachers in my school started exploring Reading Workshop to teach reading to children in Grades K–5. We attended workshops given at Columbia University and received staff development by members of Lucy Calkins’ Reading and Writing Project. Although … Continue reading