- 7 instructional strategies for the Common Core 18 December 2014
- Parents lie on survey to identify English learners 18 December 2014
- Dyslexia and the English learner dilemma 18 December 2014
- Those who can't do, shouldn't teach: learning English in Saudi schools 18 December 2014
- 10 colleges with the highest percentage of students in ESL 18 December 2014
TESOL president, speaks about TESOL.
Tag Archives: teaching grammar
The Game: ESL – Tic Tac Toe is a quick, fun way to review any number of grammar forms or vocabulary words. It builds on higher level thinking skills and provides language practice in various skills—primarily listening, speaking, and reading.
Last year, one of my students introduced our class to Learn American English Online, a website that he liked to use on his smartphone to practice his grammar during breaks at work and at home. As I explained in an earlier … Continue reading
As ESL instructors, we often learn at least as much from our students as they do from us. But that truism was borne out in an unexpected way recently in my beginners’ evening ESL class as we wrestled, in time-honored … Continue reading
The Game: This classroom game gets your students actively focusing on identifying parts of speech while competing in a fun, interactive environment. Research Says: Parts of Speech Lingo fits many of the advantages of using games in the ESL classroom: It is … Continue reading
Perhaps no frequently used tense in the English language is as bedeviling as the present perfect tense. Many advanced ESL students still struggle to use it correctly. And plenty of instructors—myself included—have struggled to teach it well. This fall, after … Continue reading