Using feedback from the affiliate leaders and best evidence on successful professional affiliate relationships provided in the 2015 Governance Review Task Force report, the TESOL Board of Directors has proposed a vision of an affiliate program based on the following principles:
- Helps support a mutually beneficial and collaborative relationship between TESOL International Association and its affiliates.
- Helps advance TESOL International Association’s goals, strategic direction, and growth.
- Assists TESOL International Association in cultivating knowledge and information about the field and the profession.
- Provides for different forms and activities relevant to the needs of different groups (i.e. not a “one-size-fits-all” model).
- Aligns with, and advances, the association’s strategic plan.
In May 2015, the Board struck an Affiliate Task Force charged with proposing options for models and structures that would achieve this vision. The AFT Final Report presents the ideas generated by the task force based on their research of other associations’ models as well as the views of members of TESOL International Association and its affiliates.
The Board now invites comments from the membership as a whole on these ideas as well as suggestions for the road ahead.
We are particularly interested in ideas that members would see as both feasible and enhancing their involvement with TESOL International Association. Comments should be posted by 10 June 2016.
With the input from the report and this general discussion, the Board will formulate a plan for achieving the vision outlined above. We will come back to our Affiliates and the TESOL membership at large for comment on this plan beginning in November before sharing our recommendation to Affiliate leaders for discussion at our March 2017 meeting in Seattle. We will also be hosting online discussions with Affiliate leaders prior to March.
Dudley Reynolds, President
On behalf of the TESOL Board of Directors